Monday, March 26, 2007

Urban homestead?

So, I can't have the animals, I can't ditch the well meaning neighbors, and during the winter there's not a lot I can do either.

BUT, it's spring! We've started a Square Foot Garden (SFG) and while nothing has been planted yet (putting a few seeds in this weekend) I thought it would be fun to document through pictures the process. We're also (still) in the process of cleaning up the yard and changing things (like getting rid of the huge thicket of wild roses that I'm allergic too) I think that following the Urban Homestead philosophy (ok, it's my own Urban Homestead philosophy I'm not sure there is another one that actually exsists) the things we plant and grow should give us something in return.

It's going to be a long process, and maybe by the time we get there I can convince The Pessimist that living out west a little bit isn't such a bad idea.

Here is the beginning of the SFG. The cardboard still needs to be trimmed, the grid still needs to be put on, and I need to pick up some more stuff to make the rest of the dirt.


1 comment:

Amy (3 Peas) said...

Great idea! Can't wait to see what you grow! :)